Monday, July 19, 2010

New Camera!

Click on any picture to see full-sized!


Lisa hanging out at the end of a bighorn sheep skeleton thorax.

I've passed the entire digital photography revolution trying to make do with a small point-and-shoot camera. The two I've had have both been decent cameras, but the truth is that they were limited. I used to do a lot of manual photography with an SLR film camera, sometimes with good results. After I switched to digital, I was mostly happy with the many advantages of digital. However, over the years, I found myself trying to replicate shots of yore on my point-and-shoot digital, but I was always disappointed. Then, about 6 months ago, my friend, Cheryl, took a real digital photography course at the local university. This was a "real" class in that a digital SLR camera was necessary. Before long, I was green with envy over her fancy new camera. This lead me to long for lost capabilities from old days. I finally coughed up the dinero necessary for a high quality camera, and I must say I'm thrilled with the results. After but four days of ownership, here are a few pix I've taken. Some of these could've never been achieved with a point-and-shoot. The downside is that this new device is massive. I bought it with plans of taking closeups of all the food we eat in Spain in September, but I'm already ruing the colossal size. Isn't there some mythological character who is damned for all eternity to carry something heavy around? Or maybe it's more like I'll be the guy from the chain gang trying to make my escape with an 80 pound camera chained to my leg.


Bighorn Sheep skeleton high above Horseshoe Lake in the Pecos Wilderness.


Iris closeup.

Horsehoe Lake. This picture's not so great, but this is my new favorite lake in the Pecos Wilderness.


Columbine closeup.


The Octopus Car Wash in Albuquerque.


Cheeseburger closeup at the Standard Diner in Albuquerque.


My street! South Pacific St. a half-block down from my house.


On the Las Vegas plaza.


The Las Vegas Batman and his car.


The Las Vegas plaza.


A closeup of my contraband beans. This shot would've never been possible with my point-and-shoot camera.

2 comments:

  1. I would like a picture of the camera, so we can see it's colossal size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will if I can find time. I'm torn between a nude photo of myself with the camera strategically located vs. a more mundane shot of the camera towering over the pyramids of Giza or something similar. It'll probably be the pyramids, because it's one thing to mortify my mother. It's another altogether to mortify both her *and* my wife.

    ReplyDelete