Sunday, August 22, 2010

RIP Floyder 7/4/93-8/22/10



The Floyderdog Express finally came to the end of the line today. Here is an e-mail I sent out to some family and friends to tell them about it:

Floyder collapsed sometime in the evening last night while we were out. He was his usual self when I fed him around 3:30 p.m. When we got home around 10:30, he was still alive but unable to get up. He could stand only if I lifted him and spotted him. He wouldn't drink. We took him to an 24-hour emergency vet in Santa Fe in the middle of the night, but they were unable to do anything to help him aside from make him more comfortable. He had an abnormal heart rhythm of unknown cause. There were no reasonable treatments to get him back on his feet. I had no choice other than to let him go. I've been worrying that this day would come sooner rather than later for the past eight years. Throughout, he somehow defied my pessimism for all those years and just kept going and going, but the day finally came. Along the way, he somehow transformed himself from an exasperating nut into a hall of famer. What a great dog! My friend for a third of my life.

Some pix of Floyder from several hundred years ago when he was young:






Way back before he was Number One, he used to be Number Three. Here he is with Sandy and Runza:

2 comments: