Thursday, March 17, 2011

Sherry Tasting Dinner

For my birthday, Lisa took me out to La Boca in Santa Fe to partake in a sherry tasting dinner.  I've recently become a fan of sherry.  Here's what we ate:

For the first course, we had two tapas.  The first was a crab salad on bread with avocado and pickled onion salad.  The second tapa was a canneloni stuffed with crab.  The first course was paired with La Gitana Manzanilla sherry.  Manzanilla sherries are kind of like a dry white wine.  This was the best course of the meal.  Both tapas were really great, and the sherry was eye-opening.  Until recnetly, I've been drinking fino sherries, but I think my next bottle will be a manzanilla instead.  It paired perfectly with the seafood.  Here are some pix (as always, click on the pix to see full-sized):



The next course was fried manchego cheese with caperberries and quice paste.  This course was paired with either an oloroso or amontillado sherry.  I'm afraid that we've forgotten which was which, but it's not a huge loss, because neither of these two sherries impressed us that much.  Also, the fried cheese was a failure.  They took excellent Spanish cheese and transformed it into some state fair fried foods concoction.  Just give me the cheese, and don't ruin it, please.  The best thing on this plate was the caperberry, which we could get out of any old jar.  Here's a picture:

In between courses paired with sherry, we had a nice salad:

The last course was a combination sausages (chorizos and blood sausage) mixed with pimientos and guindillas (each a kind of pepper).  I'm a huge fan of chorizo in particular.  I also love pimientos and guindillas.  This dish itself was very tasty.  The pairing with the sherry, on the other hand, wasn't that exciting.  Again, the sherry was either oloroso or amontillado, i.e. whichever one we didn't have in the second course.  Picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment